Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Levinas and the Transcendance of God

It's exam time and I'm mainly studying except for when I'm counselling. However, I am trying to at least read a few pages a day of books I would usually otherwise read. I read this passage today by Bruce Benson talking about Levinas's view of the relationship between human's and the metaphysical 'other.' In this passage 'other' can be taken to be God.

"Attempts at mastery of the other are often manifested by way of cognition. Here we come to a complication in Levinas, one difficult to resolve. On the one hand, to recognize the other as truly other is to recognize the other as a subject rather than merely an object of my cognition. On the other hand, in an important sense I do not "recognize" the other at all, according to Levinas. The other is not merely some phenomenom that submits to consciousness and cognition. I want to control the other by defining the other as I wish, but the other simply refuses that control and continually disrupts it. The other comes to me in a direct and unmediated way - not mediated by my categories. Thus the other is truly transcendent." pg 116. Graven Ideologies by Bruce Benson.

I like the bit about the 'other' coming to us unmediated by our categories. However I do wonder whether God does sometimes in order to reach us, to try and define God is to at the same time lose him.

Cheers

Jimmy

No comments: