Monday, November 3, 2008

The Nature of Deconstruction (Part 3)

Well the book What Would Jesus Deconstruct? by John Caputo has been a good read. He plays off the popular phrase "What Would Jesus Do?" by stating the ambiguity generated in such a statement/question.

One of the many things I've taken away from the book is another tool to add to my hermeneutical repertoire - deconstruction. When reading about Jesus in the Gospel's it is good to keep in mind what it is the Jesus is deconstructing and responding to - for example, the religious hypocrisy of the Pharisee's. What is it about what the Pharisee's are saying or doing that he is deconstructing and responding to?

I have been asked a couple of time's something along the lines of 'Isn't that what liberals do?' I guess in a simplistic understanding it is - only because questioning tradition (and everything else) is in the nature of deconstruction. However I do not consider it to be aligned at any particular point across the spectrum from Conservative to Liberal. Think of it along the lines of 'critical analysis,' it questions 'why we do things the way we do', or 'why the way things are the way they are.' I would like to think this is something all people do rather than taking things for granted. I don't think it descends order into chaos, rather if done in the Spirit of love and justice, it has the ability to improve, move forward, and brings 'ways of doing things' into alignment with beliefs and values. I suggest that in order to change, we first deconstruct, and then construct. I thought to finish off I'd include Caputo's second to last paragraph of the book:

"But what, then, is the Kingdom of God? Where is it found? It is found every time an offense is forgiven, every time a stranger is made welcome, every time an enemy is embraced, every time the least among us is lifted up, every time the law is made to serve justice, every time a prophetic voice is raised against injustice, every time the law and the prophets are summed up by love." pg 138.




It's how I like to think I'm doing theology.
Photo from Lomography.com
Posted by Picasa

No comments: