Sunday, December 7, 2008

Does God Have A Head?

As Briar and I were flying over NZ last night I was looking down on the land and wondering if this is what it is like for God to be looking down on us. At least by my experience most people - including myself - tend to think of God as 'out there somewhere,' even though at the same time we try to think of him around us. So does he have a head up above the clouds looking down on us? Or is he an invisible Spirit around us in the world? Or is it the Holy Spirit that is around us in spirit form while God and Jesus both have heads up in the skies talking somewhere? Or are head's anthropomorphisms and God really is best described as a spirit that is both here and there, while Jesus remains in human form? Or has Jesus rid himself of his body and taken on Spirit form and resides around us too? Does the difference between the Trinity come down to function then as all three are Spirits? What does it mean for humans to have a body then if Jesus got rid of his?

I guess what I think is that God does not necessarily have a head (although he may do - I've never seen him, except I know Jesus was a human). So I describe him as something like a Spirit, but I do this understanding that the description of Spirit probably doesn't do justice to what God actually is (which I am guessing is something we aren't able to comprehend). I think Jesus remains in his human form, and that when the second coming happens and everything is wrapped up we will remain in a renewed human form. This is opposed to the idea that we become spirits in heaven or leave this body behind and move into eternity. God and Jesus are somewhere, I dunno where, and the Holy Spirit is what is in us and around us. The Holy Spirit connects us and the world to Jesus, and Jesus connects us to God. Yet weirdly we have to remember that they are at the same time all one. So I dunno how to reconcile a God in which we describe as one third human, and two thirds Spirit, but I'm sure God has that sussed and one day, when he reveals himself to us, we'll understand.

No comments: