Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Chat with a Hare Krishna

I ended up having a good yarn with a Hare Krishna today while taking a DVD back to the store. She was quite intelligent in the sense that she could explain some underlying philosophies and beliefs behind much of the religion. It got me thinking though as I walked home. If faith is the overflow of reason then it always seems to come down to what a person wants to believe. I am a strong Christian, she was a strong Hare Krishna. She could argue relatively consistently how her religion operates, I could talk the same about mine. How can we determine the difference? Well I believe that God is active in the world, I could talk about the Spirit and things I've seen. She could also come see them with me. A traditional Christian would say that the power of God is the defining difference. But this does not seem so, without God directly convicted her of his reality, then she will continue interpreting the work of the Holy Spirit as the work of Krishna or some other being. So what can I do about this? Nothing except allow God to do his stuff through me, I can't convince nor save her. God has to do that, until she finds God revealed to her then she will continue to interpret the world from her own worldview.

Philip

P.S. Briar and I are going south for my sisters birthday so posts will be a little irregular over the weekend - if there are any at all.

No comments: